2020 has been a tough, inspiring and memorable year. It hit hard. It showed us what’s important. It brought out the best in people.
Throughout the ups and downs, our customers, members, colleagues and communities have inspired us.
We’ve done what we can to make life a little better, from fighting food poverty to making our stores more accessible. And we’re ready to do even more in 2021.
Here are 12 ways we gave back during the past 12 months:
1. Our pioneering work with FareShare Midlands helps create over one million meals a year for people in need
2. We have invested millions in our local communities, creating dozens of new jobs, opening eight new stores and revamping 25 more
3. A total of 102 local good causes have shared out £155,000 from our Community Dividend Fund
4. Our ongoing effort to minimise our environmental impact has seen our carbon footprint reduce by 72%
5. We rolled out a range of exciting new services to offer customers more choice than ever when it comes to how they do their local co-op shop, from scan and go to home delivery
6. We worked around the clock during uncertain times to make sure our stores were safe and remained open for people to access vital food and essentials
7. We rewarded our hard-working colleagues with extra pay and discounts as a ‘thank you’ for going above and beyond during 2020
8. The generosity of our members and customers have seen us donate over 350,000 items of food to our food bank partners, creating over 100,000 meals
9. As part of growing our business, we debuted new concepts such as first of their kind community cafes
10. We rewarded members for their loyalty by paying out over £1 million as part of our annual Share of the Profits
11. Joined forces with over 200 MPs to campaign for more to be one in terms of food justice and shopworker safety
12. Continued our ongoing efforts to improve opportunities for black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) colleagues across the business by signing the Race at Work Charter